Get Letters ofAdministrationin Sydney, NSW

From Only $649

MKI Legal has been featured in

Media - 7news
Media - Fox Sports
Media - Triple M
Media - Herald Sun
Media -
Media - 6pr-882-newsTalk
Media - 2gb-837am

Applying For Letters of Administration In Australia

Letters of Adminisration is the process where close family members apply to the court for permission to deal with your loved one’s estate.

What are the steps?

Free Discussion with Our Legal TeamStep 1Free Discussion with Our Legal Team

Have a chat with our legal team to make sure you’re on the right track. We can answer your questions about the process and what to do next.

Inform the CourtStep 2Inform the Court

Next, you need to inform the Court of your intention to apply for a grant at least 14 days before filing your documents. It's part of our service to help you with this step.

We Prepare Court DocumentsStep 3We Prepare Court Documents

We prepare the documents for you. Our legal team will get all the information from you so your documents are prepared properly.

Sign & LodgeStep 4Sign & Lodge

You then get the documents signed and lodged with the Court. We provide full guidance on how to do this. The Court will post the grant to you after it's approved. You can then access the superannuation money, bank funds and real estate etc.

Download Estates Plus

A Free App To Help With Deceased Estates

Download our free app to help you understand what to do after a loved one has died. A step-by-step guide, save estate assets, keep track of expenses and more. Written by expert estate lawyers.

What Is Letters of Administration?

Intestacy is when a person dies without a valid Will.

When this happens, usually, one or two members of the close family apply to obtain Letters of Administration. The person who applies is called the “administrator”.

When Letters of Administration is granted, the person who applied will have access to the deceased’s assets, such as real estate, super and bank accounts as well as their personal information held by other parties, like the ATO.

Once they have access to the assets, the administrator must follow the law, pay off estate debts and distribute the surplus to the relevant family members entitled to benefit such as the partner, parents, children or siblings.

How Do You Apply For Letters of Administration?

The Letters of Administration application is made to the Supreme Court of NSW. Once the Court approves the application, it sends an official court document (the grant of letters of administration) to the administrator(s).

If you intend to apply, you need to do so within 6 months of the person’s death. If you wait longer, you will need to explain to the Court the reason for the delay, so it’s better not to delay.

Before you apply, you must advertise your intention to apply through the NSW Online Registry, and this must be done at least 14 days before the actual application. We can help with this step.

What Are The Court Fees For Letters of Administration?

The Court fees vary depending on the value of the estate.

  • If the value is under $100,000, then there is NO filing fee.

  • Between $100,000 and $250,000 – filing fee is $702

  • Between $250,000 and $500,000 – filing fee is $953

  • Between $500,000 and $1,000,000 – filing fee is $1460

  • Between $1,000,000 and $2,000,000 – filing fee is $1946

What Happens After Administration Is Granted?

Once the Grant of Letters of Administration is provided by the Court, the administrator must settle any debts owed by the deceased, such as their mortgage or credit card debts.

After this the administrator needs to make sure they discharge all their legal obligations (we can help with this).

After this is done, the administrator can then distribute the assets according to NSW legislation to the relevant family members of the deceased.

Who Inherits If There Is No Will In NSW?

There is a formula in NSW that sets out who receives the assets when someone dies without a Will. This differs depending on which family members are left alive.

For example, if a person dies leaving a spouse, then the spouse is entitled to everything that the deceased owned. If a person dies with no spouse or children, then that person’s parents will receive all of the deceased assets.

For a table that explains what happens in various situations, please click here.

Free Guide On What To Do
After A Loved One Dies

Understand what steps you need to take when a loved one dies. Written by our expert legal team.

Letters of Administration in Sydney, NSW Pricing

Deal with a Deceased Estate in Sydney, New South Wales.Save up to 80% on Legal Fees*.

Free Discussion

Call Us


Free no obligation discussion

Check if you need to apply for letters of administration

Understand the steps involved

Letters of Administration

We prepare it, you lodge it


No Will made by deceased

Closest family members apply

Standard Letters of Administration documents

Documents ready-to-lodge with Court

Step-by-step guide on what to do

Prepared & reviewed by our legal team

Money-back guarantee

The Full Lawyer Service

We do it all for you

Call Us For A Quote

Legal guidance before lodgement

Legal guidance with administering the estate (work after grant issued)

Suitable for complex cases

All required documents prepared

We lodge with Court for you

We communicate with beneficiaries & creditors

We make sure you do everything right, to reduce your liability.

We help you until you've finished everything required.

Pay-at-end options available

Not Sure What You Need?Free Discussion

Our expert team at MKI Legal can assist you with any questions about your loved one’s Deceased estate or getting your legal affairs in order before you pass away. Our free no-obligation discussion can help get you make the right decision.

Frequently Asked Questions

We’re here to help you navigate through the loss of a loved one

I want to speak to someone

It’s free to chat to our legal team.

Call us on 1300 967 552, start an online chat (by clicking the bottom right hand of screen) or leave your details and we will call you.

How does your money back guarantee work?

We guarantee that your letters of administration documents will be correctly prepared based on the information you provide.

We will give a full money refund should it turn out that Estates Plus is not suitable for your circumstances, provided our documents are not lodged with the court, signed or used in any way.

How long does it take?

Estates Plus can have your documents prepared within about 5 business days after getting all the information from you.

Once the documents are lodged with the Court, it usually takes 3 to 6 weeks for the Court to review and approve your documents.

These time frames are estimates and there could be delays depending on how busy the court is and if the court has further questions (called requisitions).

Can document be posted to me ?

Yes. Once you have approved the final version of the documents, we can post them to you (at no further charge).

Can I recover my costs?

Yes, once you get the grant documents (e.g probate or letters of administration), you have the right to be reimbursed for your out-of-pocket expenses such as our fees and the court filing fees.